By William L. Garvin
The popularity and support for the International Panel on Climate Change is falling faster than President Obama’s poll numbers! A recent survey by the American Meteorological Society shows that only 52% now agree with the IPCC shibboleth that “global warming is happening and mankind is the cause.” What are the reasons for this precipitous fall from the previous, carefully constructed “scientific consensus” of 97%?
Maybe it’s because the IPCC hand selected the scientists in their survey. Maybe it’s because the IPCC was caught fudging their data. Maybe it’s because “consensus” is not “science.” Maybe it’s because of the record setting COLD SPELLS in the United States and Europe. Maybe it’s because 35% of the U.S. was covered in snow at the earliest date ever this year. Maybe it’s because there is now 17.2 million square miles of sea ice which is .9 million square miles above average, and that too is a new record set this November.
Maybe it’s because the models predicting “above average” hurricane and tornado activity were horribly (thankfully!) wrong! The tornado count is 58% below normal this year. Additionally, the U.S. had only two hurricanes reaching landfall this year and neither reached category 3. In fact, the Obama administration has had only three hurricanes compared to the 26 during the Grover Cleveland presidency. Which administration had the most CO2? Then there are those pesky German scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology whose data show “no surface warming” since 1998 contradicting the predictions of 23 climate models. Naturally, they are now derided by the IPCC as “skeptics” or “deniers” which is the scientific equivalent of “racist.” An inconvenient truth.
Speaking of racism, what about the assaults mischaracterized as the “Knockout Game.” Young blacks are not hunting “black bears” or “brown bears” but “polar bears.” However, liberal media is working hard to minimize or ignore the racial aspects of these assaults. Maybe some data from the FBI and the Department of Justice will help. Blacks make up about 13% of the U.S. population. There are about 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year between blacks and whites. Blacks commit 85% of those crimes and whites commit the remaining 15%. Blacks commit 45% of their crimes against whites; 43% against other blacks; and 10% against Hispanics. In stark contrast, whites commit only 3% of their crimes against blacks. The danger of course is that if this abhorrent trend by youth continues, the numbers will increase and the ratio may be altered. It’s time for leadership in the African-American community to stand their moral ground before the violence escalates. An inconvenient truth.
Much of this violence stems from hopelessness brought on by poor education, a jobless recovery, the lack of parental guidance and having no father in the family. The same results can be seen in poor white families in England. The education and economic policies of this administration do not bode well for the future. Despite all the specious pronouncements of “jobs created or saved,” we have the lowest labor participation rate of the last fifty years. The only reason the unemployment rate is at 7% is because over 11 million workers have given up and left the work force!
It’s also ironic that Democrats who say they are the party of choice are anti-choice in so many areas. Education is just one area of hypocrisy. In Washington, D.C., there are 1,600 low income kids in the District’s school voucher program. They have a terrific graduation rate of 91%! The District as a whole can only muster a 41% graduation rate. School choice for the District was signed into law by George W. Bush but has become a political football. President Obama’s 2013 budget did not include funding for the program. Now the District is being accused of not providing sufficient oversight. Louisiana is facing similar anti-voucher battles.
The Louisiana voucher program allows low income youth to escape many of the poor performing schools. Twelve thousand children applied for the 8,500 vouchers this year and 6,800 accepted them. The Department of Justice sued the State of Louisiana. Their erroneous premise was vouchers interfere with desegregation. In fact, moving low income youth into private schools has enhanced integration. The Obama administration has now dropped the lawsuit but continues to drown Louisiana’s highly popular, bipartisan program in regulations and additional requirements.
The Department of Education was established by President Carter in the 1980’s. The U.S. now spends $115,000 per student for K-12 education but U.S. students rank 26th worldwide in math and science. Give the kids a choice or they have no chance. Just another inconvenient truth.